Wednesday, May 22, 2013

"Oh this looks fun!"

I'm a beginner at...
 
Sewing.
 
Last Christmas, I decided to be adventurous and hand make and sew our family Christmas stockings.
 
I've never sewn anything without someone first cutting everything out for me, setting up the machine, and telling me what exactly to do.
 
The stockings were my first sewing project to do and complete from start to finish all on my own.
 
I was really proud of myself and liked the finished project.
 
A few days ago I got an itch to sew. So I opened up my pinterest app on my phone and started to browse my craft and DIY boards in search of the perfect project.
 
Once I decided what I wanted to do I headed to JoAnns to purchase the material that I needed. While shopping around I opened up my app to look at the project to see how much fabric I would need..
 
SURPRISE!
 
Apparently all I looked at were the pictures and got excited and ran out the door. What I failed to notice is that the tutorial and blog site for this project was in a different language. awesome
 
I decided I'd just go home and research better and find something else to do but the friend I had with me looked at what I wanted to make and told me to pick out the fabric I wanted, had it cut, then said she would cut it all out for me so all I have to do is assemble the project.
 
The next morning I decided I didn't want to wait around for everything to be cut for me so I sat and studied the pictures of the project, set everything up and got to work. I used manila folders to help me guess the measurements and started cutting!
 
I was determined to do this on my own.
 
After MUCH fighting with the sewing machine and having a friend come take a look at it, ripping seems out about 12 different times, and deciding to give up on sewing (then continuing on with my project), I completed my SECOND ever sewing project!
 
I'm proud of myself and happy with my work.. No, my lines and such aren't perfectly strait and there might be a few ugly seems but I LOVE it and my little man Hyrum is going to EXTRA love it.
 
The finished product!!
 
Art Bag
 

 

 

 

The part of the bag I'm most proud of! I can't believe I was able to actually figure out how to make all of these pockets!

 
 You put the drawing pad or coloring books in this big pocket. :)

 
 
Here is the link to the blog post that inspired this project. I believe it's in French.

No comments: