When 2013 begun I tried to make somewhat of a resolution of sorts...
I wanted to see how far into the year we could make it before satisfying our medical deductables. Over the last six years I've become a pro at fulfilling my medical decuctible's in the first few months. (I'm good so far this year :)
My children have decided that it would be their turn to take over that task.
The staff at Virginia Mason medical center are becoming very familiar with us.
Any way, on to the toe.
Back in August, Ricky and the children went to Target.
Hyrum being the big helpful boy that he is, ran ahead to open the door for Ricky who was carrying Adalyn.
He ended up opening the door on his big toe... OUCH. Ricky hurried him to the grab a bandaid and get his toe cleaned up.
For a afew week Hyrum's toe nail was just hardly hanging on but he wouldn't let anybody touch it.
September came and it was time for His and Adalyn's well child check-ups. I had doc look at his toe and he assured us that it was going to be fine and the nail would naturally fall off and grow back.
It did eventually fall off and a new nail started to grow.
About three weeks ago I noticed that the skin around his toe was starting to become red and within a week it was looking infected... I figured it was an infected ingrown toenail.
I made an appointment and we took him to the doctor. By the time he had this doctors apointment there was a small 'puss pocket' growing. The doctor looked at it, cut the pocket and cultured it.
At the end of the week the doctors office called me and said that Hyrum has a staph infection and needs to start an antibiotic. He was on an antibiotic for 10days and nothing changed so I took him back to the doctor and they prescribed him a stronger dose medication to take for another ten days.
Doctor said that if things didn't change we could have the nail removed because it was also ingrown.
Last week Adalyn had her 9month well child checkup. There still hadn't been any changes with Hyrum's toe so at the end of Adalyn's appointment I asked the doctor if we could go ahead and have Hyrum's nail removed, or if we needed to wait for the staff infection to clear up before hand.
He said that if we wanted we could go ahead and get it removed and that having it removed would probably help the infection clear up quicker.
So, we came home, gave Adalyn a nap and had lunch, then I called to set up an appointment with Podiatry for the nail removal.. they had an appointment for 30min later.... frantically got everything ready and went back to VM.
I didn't say why we were going back to the doctor so Hyrum assumed we were taking Adalyn to get shots...
Maybe I'm mean for not telling him upfront what we were doing but he would have screamed and cried the whole way if I did.
Hyrum was sitting in the big fancy chair/table and didn't realize that the appointment was for him until the MA took his shoe off.. he started crying and asking if the doctor was just going to look.
Doctor came it, looked at it, decided it needed to come off, then he had me climb in the seat behind Hyum, wrap my arms and legs around his body and lay back..
He numbed the toe and left the room for 5-10min, came back in, had me restrain Hyrum again and removed the nail..
Poor Hyrum was screaming and crying. I kept asking him if he could feel it and if it hurt and every time he would say "no."
It was just a big scary thing for him..
He actually wanted to see the yucky toenail before leaving.
Hyrum's toe the day the nail was removed
waiting for it to be numb for removal
crying and scared out of his mind
the finished product..
My poor boy. He wanted us to carry him around all weekend and he even made Daddy sleep in his bed so that he could sleep in bed with me. :)
He is walking/kind of running around now but still hobbles around and is on the mend. He's almost done with his last round of antibiotics and is super excited that he is going to grow a brand new nail that doesn't have any owies on it.




No comments:
Post a Comment