There are some parts of the birth of Adalyn that I didn't talk about in her birth post because I felt that it deserved a post of it's own.
Hyrum was in the birthing room with us. Not just while we waited for it to be push time but for the before, during and after time.
Yes, he saw Sister be pushed out into this world.
In the weeks prior to Adalyn's birth, Ricky and I decided that we would like Hyrum to be in the room with us if the situation and circumstances were right when the time came.
First, we needed or wanted to have one more extra adult in the room other than Ricky and my mom for extra help if need be for us to be comfortable having him in the room.
Also, the time of day/night would determin if he would be in the room as well. I figured that if I was in active labor and pushing at 2 or 3AM it would be best for him to stay home or with someone where he could stay asleep. (wouldn't want a tired little one running around the room)
Once we decided that we would feel comfortable having him in the room for the birth with circumstances permitting, we ran it across with our OB, and a few other people in the medical world as well as a few friends...
Each of the people we spoke to had the same response.
"oh I don't know about that" "it might make him hate the baby" "if he sees you scream in pain, he will hate the baby for hurting his mommy" "it might be a traumatizing event for him to experience with all of the... blood." (for those of you who have not had the oportunity to be present at the birth of one of my children... I birth in silence.. meaning i speak not a word, peep not a sound)
Few people REALLY know our Hyrum as well as Ricky and I do. Yes, he is 3 turning 4 in a few months, but despite what people see in the maybe 1hr a week they see him he is an extremely mature little boy for his age.
He knows his limits, what he is allowed to do and not allowed to do, he cleans and cleans appropriatly when asked.. very obediant when he hears you ;)
...and despite his monsterous size for his age, and his love for super heros and wrestling with his daddy, he is a HUGE softy.. he can't and won't hurt a fly. he let's kiddos smaller than him push him to the ground in play.
That being said. WE knew he would do fine if he were able to be present.
After talking to the OB and asking if it was ok for him to be there, and despite what they thought about him being traumatized, she said, "yes" he can be there for the birth as long as a complication didn't arrise, in which point he would have to be taken out.
Perhapse prayers were answered..
Three weeks prior to Adalyn's arrival we got the news that Auntie Elma would be joining mom and coming to WA to be with us for the rest of my pregnancy and birth of Adalyn.
Awesome.
The only thing standing in the way after this was at which time Adalyn was going to make her arrival..
Good news, I went in to labor at 4:30AM which resulted in an AFTERNOON delivery.
Hyrum was able to attend the birth of his little sister!
He didn't scream or cry or get cranky (until he had to leave us and return home for the night with Mom and Elma).
He didn't get scared or traumatized.
He smiled the entired time and even jumped with excitment with the arrival of baby sister.
Was he at the foot of the birthing bed to see everything? No.
He stood at the head of the bed next to daddy, holding my arm and counting to 10 with everyone else while I pushed.
While you would think that all of my thoughts and energy were spent focusing on pushing, they were to an extent, but how could I ignore the little hand of my first born holding my arm?
I couldn't and didn't. I was in my own perfect little world at this point. Maybe that's how I managed to get her out in 25min..?
Either way.. It worked for me.
Adalyn will be 5wks old tomorrow and he hasn't shown any anger towards her or the fact that she is here. but there are times that he thinks she may be broken or defective...
This morning in the car Hyrum and I had this short conversation that I can't stop smiling and laughing about.
Hyrum-"Mommom, we need a new baby."
Me-"We need a new baby?"
Hyrum-"yah, a new one."
Me-"Why do we need a new baby?"
Hyrum-"Because this one cries."

No comments:
Post a Comment