In my blog about Bennett's birth, I didn't go into any detail about the doctors or nurses or my overall experience with the hospital so I'll do that with this post.
First off, my doctor was/is Dr. Greg Shelton with OBGYN Medical Center Associates.
He delivered Ezra in 2013 a few months after we moved to Texas and I saw him for all of my prenatal care and delivery with Bennett.
Those who know me know that I can be and am a very shy and quiet person, for the most part at least. I was always quiet in appointments and he was very patient and caring and would really listen when I had a question or concern.
I highly recommend him for all of you quiet people out there like me.
Some of you may be wondering how I felt about his silence when Bennett was born. I've thought about it a little bit and I don't believe there is really much he could have said to fill the void. Also, he was taking care of me, his patient, while Bennett was off in perfectly good and capable hands getting the care he needed. He couldn't have known what was even going on himself to be able to tell me.
Sure, the silence was deafening but I place no ill feelings towards Dr. Shelton. He did his job taking care of me and that's what he was there for.
Once he was finished taking care of me, he did go check on Bennett to see what was going on with him and to see how he was doing.
Dr. Shelton continued to keep tabs on Bennett for a while when he was in the NICU and any time we'd see him or run into him in the halls of the hospital, he would stop and ask us how we were doing and ask about Bennett and always seemed to know exactly what was going on.
I admire him for this and think highly of him as my doctor. I continue to use him to this day for any and all female needs/physicals and such and will always recommend him in a heart beat to anyone looking for a kind, caring, knowledgeable OBGYN.
The next person who I believe deserves mention is the neonatologist that made the quick call to start Bennett on Whole Body Cooling. His name was Dr. Owais Khan.
I believe Dr. Khan is the reason our boy is alive today. With his quick thinking and the knowledge he brought to the table, he saved our boy and preserved his brain function.
He was professional and caring and always had an answer for our questions and concerns. Even when the only question I ever had was "when can I hold my baby?"
I would trust him with the life of any infant/child on any given day.
I wish I took more pictures and kept a better record of our stay in the NICU but I didn't. At this point, I would have had an entire list of NICU Nurses that I would praise.
I can't think of a single bad nurse we had both in post partum care and in the NICU. All were so loving and gentle and smart and caring and patient. I remember only two names. Sara in NICU 3 and Mickie.
There was another nurse in particular who's name I wish I remembered from NICU 2 night shift. She was so helpful with breastfeeding and so encouraging. She really helped me feel good about myself and the possibilities of finally getting to nurse Bennett.
I believe Dr. Khan is the reason our boy is alive today. With his quick thinking and the knowledge he brought to the table, he saved our boy and preserved his brain function.
He was professional and caring and always had an answer for our questions and concerns. Even when the only question I ever had was "when can I hold my baby?"
I would trust him with the life of any infant/child on any given day.
I wish I took more pictures and kept a better record of our stay in the NICU but I didn't. At this point, I would have had an entire list of NICU Nurses that I would praise.
I can't think of a single bad nurse we had both in post partum care and in the NICU. All were so loving and gentle and smart and caring and patient. I remember only two names. Sara in NICU 3 and Mickie.
There was another nurse in particular who's name I wish I remembered from NICU 2 night shift. She was so helpful with breastfeeding and so encouraging. She really helped me feel good about myself and the possibilities of finally getting to nurse Bennett.
In all, we had a fantastic experience with any and all staff at The Women's Hospital of Texas and will forever be grateful for these smart, quick thinking, caring individuals.
No comments:
Post a Comment